Date:
Sun, 16 May 2004 11:59:53 EDT
Hi,
lactation program @ a medical center where we have approx. 4800 deliveries a year.
I am paid slightly more than the floor nurses, however, I am classified as a
salaried employee.  This means lots of extra "volunteer" hours as well as no
additional hourly incentive for weekends and holidays which I am required to
work every other. We also are not eligible for shift differential.  Since our
department is small we have only three people and we cover 7 days a week.  Our
manager, who manages the department as well as providing direct patient care,
must be available mon through fri,  thus myself and my coworker must share
working every
other weekend and holidays.  Also, written into our program ( this I still
don't understand) is that I can't work extra hours for pay in our department if
I wanted to.  Therefore, extra community programs we conduct are always done
on a volunteer basis. We get comp time as a salaried person but currently I
have stopped adding up my hours that well exceed 2500 hours over 7 years..and I
have to work 4 hours before I can use one hour or more of that time and since
my partner would be unable to work on the same day I have probably used 24
hours in 7 years!
 Good luck and try to consider the "extras" if you are given extra pay...you
may be better of with same pay with same considerations that floor nurses
get...you may end up with better "hourly salaries" in the long run or be more
savvy in your initial negotiations.
Sincerely,
Maddy Boland
I still love working with my breastfeeding moms!