Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 13:50:59 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
I am a nursing student at the University of North Dakota. Recently, I have been studying the topic of asthma. I am currently enrolled in a childbearing class, and I am interested in ascertaining if there is a relationship between asthma and breastfeeding. According to a study by Takemura, et. al (2001), it was found that breastfeeding in infancy may be related to a higher incidence of asthma during pre-adolescence. The risk of breastfeeding for asthma was compared with that of artificial feeding. It was found that a significantly higher prevalence of asthma was found in children who had been breastfed. In another study by Dell & To (2001), it was found that the longer a child breastfed the more protected they were against asthma and wheezing. This study examined children exclusively two years of age and younger. Another study which was conducted by Oddy, Holt, Sly, & Read in 1999 looked at children up to six years of age. This report stated that feeding a child only breastmilk at lea.

I have searched the archives and read the past posts related to this topic. I am still curious to hear from mothers who have asthma and have or have not breastfed their children. I would like to know if the children of these mothers do or do not have asthma. I am also interested to know if anyone has any new information on research reports that were not discussed in the archives. 

Dell, S., & To, T. (2001). Breastfeeding and asthma in young children. The Archives of Pediatric 
     and Adolescent Medicine, 155, 1261-1265. 

Oddy, W., Holt, P., Sly, P., & Read, A. (1999). Association between breastfeeding and asthma in 
     six year old children: Findings of a prospective birth cohort study. British Medical Journal, 319, 815-     819. Retrived September 3, 2002, from CINHAL database. 

Takemura, Y., Sakurai, Y., Honjo, S., Kusakari, A., Hara, T., Gibo, M., et. al (2001). Relation between 
     breastfeeding and the prevalence of asthma. American Journal of Epidemiology, 154, 115-119. 

~Sarah Allmaras 

University of North Dakota 

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2