From:
jhroibal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 23:01:38 -0700
Did anyone else see tonight's episode of "ER" ?!?!?! It was titled,
"Under Control"  I turned it on 30 minutes into the show and Dr. Green
was talking with a mom who was holding a dead baby.  It seems that the
baby died from a drug overdose. The mom swore there was no one around
who would do such a thing to her baby.  After much questioning, the mom
admitted that she worked two jobs and took "something" to stay awake.
When the mom said she was nursing the baby, it became apparent to
viewers that this baby overdosed on drugs from the mother's
breastmilk!!!  Nothing else was mentioned, but the impression was very
negative.

In a lighter note, Nurse Hathaway's nanny called in saying the twins
were crying inconsolably and the nanny brought them to the ER.  Nurse
Hathaway later remarked something to the effect of, "they always are
happier after I nurse them."

So, viewers are left with a mixed impression of breastfeeding. I can't
believe how pervasive the formula companies are in their attack on
breastfeeding. I can't imagine that this episode with such a negative
portrayal of breastfeeding could be a coincidence.  First Chicago Hope,
then Law and Order and now, ER.  When will it end?

turning off the television,
Heidi S. Roibal Albuquerque, NM