Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 1998 14:13:05 -0600
For the thread on teaching formula feeding, I want to re-send the post that
Jan Barger sent to us last year, which she alluded to in her post today,
saying, "Somewhere in the archives are my musings on what need to be taught."

Some of you might have missed it. It's a keeper!

Patricia Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee

<< How do you tell them the great benifits of nursing and then take a
 breath and talk about the benefits and how to formula feed. I feel like
 I'm a traiter.  Anyone who knows me knows I'm a very strong proponent of
 breastfeeding. I'd rather be silent about bottle feeding than have to
 teach it. Thanks for letting me vent!!!!!! >>

Jan replies:

If you teach it right, you'll have all the moms breastfeeding.  You don't
even have to talk (too much) about increased infection rates.  You simply
talk about making sure they keep track of all the lot numbers of the formula
they buy so that if there is a recall at any time, they can prove they bought
that formula and participate in a class action suit -- especially if the
child falls ill.  Talk about the importance of using ready to feed because of
potential problems with water, reminding them of the illness that befell the
citizens of WI (? - was that it?) because of the bacteria that escaped the
filtration system.  Remind them that if they are formula feeding, to be extra
diligent about wearing masks if anyone in the family is ill as there will be
no antibody protection from breastmilk.  Remind them that they can't use any
unused formula -- it must be discarded immediately as the bacteria begin to
grow in the formula within 1/2 hour after opening it.  Remind them to always
take unopened small bottles of formula with them (the RTF) when they go out
for the day so that it is sterile upon opening and won't hurt the baby.
 Remind them that they need to boil/sterilize the implements they are feeding
the baby with for at least the first four months.  Remind them that if they
can't afford RTF, and must use tap water, that they need to boil it long
enough to kill the bacteria, but not so long as to concentrate the lead.
 Also, they need to run the water long enough in the morning to get rid of
the lead or copper in the pipes.  Remind them that it is important to switch
arms when holding the baby for bottle feeding so that the baby gets equal eye
stimulation, and that because it is difficult to "groom" the baby while
bottle feeding (since both hands are occupied), it is recommended that the
mother hold and "groom" the baby after the feeding for as long as it took the
feeding to take place.  Since breastfeeding is the norm, you want bottle
feeding mothers to give their babies the same advantages, or as closely
simulated as possible, as breastfeeding  mothers give their babies.  It is
hard to do, but definitely worth while.  Give them a handout on the costs of
formula -- BSC has one -- vs. the costs of breastfeeding.  Include the fact
that WIC moms will end up paying at least $500 for formula for the baby's
first year (some WIC moms are under the impression that they will get all the
formula they need for the baby).  Remind them that if their employer has a
benefit program whereby they can put money into a tax deferred account to use
for illness, it would be a good idea to do that, as formula fed infants are
hospitalized in greater numbers than breastfed infants, and cite the Kaiser
study.

Oh yes, there are ways to teach bottle feeding that are appropriate -- and
BTW, this is NOT tongue in cheek.  We all probably should be teaching bottle
feeding in this manner.  Our babies deserve nothing less than the best, and
if they aren't going to be protected by the living fluid that is breastmilk,
then we have to do the best we can with the dead artificial stuff that is
formula.

2 cents -- keep the change,

Jan Barger

mailto:[log in to unmask]