From:
Larry D'Anna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 1996 20:48:57 -0700
At 08:16 AM 10/3/96 -0400, Kathy wrote:

>Now...mother pumping 8 times a day doubly.  Baby will not latch at
>all...except sporadically on a nipple shield.  ... When I saw
>this baby, he would swallow with his mouth *open*...milk that was being
>dripped on breast via syringe.  Baby being fed now with syringe and largest
>finger..and a wide based bottle also...and will latch onto breast maybe
>twice daily with a nipple shield.

Kathy,  I would try a Haberman feeder and try to keep mom pumping, one day
at a time.  The Haberman would take the pressure off the parents from finger
feeding, doesn't need as much attention to accomplish similar tongue use
training and might buy the time needed to wait this one out.  Encourage the
mom to hold on through the first growth spurt, read Barbara Heiser's section
on aggressive non nursers in The BFing Answer Book for more tips.  Seems
similar to me.

Good luck,

Carla (just north of Washington, DC)