From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 1999 18:15:03 -0400
Aha, Rachel! Your response about big babies in Norway gives me a key piece
of information on the issue. I'm thinking it's maybe at least partially a
cultural thing, to do with expectations of what a newborn "should" look
like. And maybe partly related to the medicalization of birth & BFing in the
US - "we" (referring in this case to nurses, doctors, nutritionists) are
accustomed to looking for problems, and always on the alert for infants of
diabetic mothers, LGA, etc. Anything we can label or diagnose and intervene
with.

Or maybe I'm all wet on the whole thing! Now I'm wondering what those of you
outside the US see. I'd sort of figure that in countries where food supply
was an issue, a larger baby would be seen as an advantage, as having an edge
on survival - but I don't know, I'm asking.

Cathy Bargar, RN< IBCLC Ithaca NY