From:
Karyn-grace Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2008 14:13:26 -0800
Anyone have experience with babies passing really smelly gas?  I saw the
baby for the first time at day 3 post partum – mother’s milk had not yet
come in, but was transitioning from colostrum when I saw her.

Baby was still on a negative weight pattern.  Test weight showed 6.01.03 oz
pre feed and 6.01.07 oz post feed.

Nipples a little damaged – some scabbing and bruising, but helping to
facilitate a good latch made an obvious difference to mom.

Mom nursing mostly in side-lying position.

All the above is being worked on and monitored by me and the local health
nurse.  However, the main question these parents had was the horrible smells
coming from baby.  I concurred!  Smelled like the farts a dog makes after
sneaking too much cheese.  Mom said that she had be drinking “lots” of milk
lately, especially since being in the hospital, though she didn’t normally
drink that much milk.  She said she noticed *her* gas was smelly, too.

I suggested cutting out dairy to see if that made a difference.  What do you
guys think?  Would sensitivity to dairy protein cause smelly gas in a
newborn?

My other guess would be the water the mom was drinking – this came to mind
after I got home and told my 11 year old daughter about this adorable but
smelly baby.  She thought that maybe it was sulfur farts, like what happens
to her aunt (my sister) when she comes to visit us.  See, we live on an
island and are all on well water.  The water conditions can be very
different from well to well.  Our household water is very high in sulfur.
My sister is allergic to sulfur – we didn’t know how high in sulfur our
water was until she came visit and stank up our whole house with her
constant, smelly wind!

Stop laughing, this really happened!  ;~>

So…I’m wondering if anyone knows of a connection with something like this in
a breastfed infant?

Otherwise, if it’s not dairy or sulfur, why else would this newborn be so
gassy and why would the gas be so smelly?

Blessings.

Karyn-grace Clarke, IBCLC, LLLL

Gulf Islands, BC, Canada

Checked by AVG Free Edition.