From:
Pam Lacey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 06:18:31 -0500
I have looked in archives and have found several references to
hydroxychloroquine, including a couple of assurances from from Jack
Newman.  I feel fairly happy that breastfeeding is not contraindicated when
taking this drug.  However we (one of my collegues), have a mum right now
with a 9 week old babe, who was bf beautifully.  Mum has Lupus.  She has
been told by her medical professor that  hydroxychloroquine may possibly
cause retinal damage in babe.  Mum did ask then why she had been allowed to
take the drug throughout pregnancy (and didn't get a satisfactory answer),
mum is now (against her better feelings) weaning this babe onto formula
because she is terrified about causing damage to babes retinas.  Can
anybody help with providing convincing evidence for mum (or to show to
professor) that she can continue to bf before it's too late.

Thanks everyone
Pam Lacey
IBCLC, ABM BFC UK