From:
Barb Gabbert-Bacon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Feb 1997 01:11:52 -0500
Two years ago I pumped with an Ameda/Egnell Lact-E for 3 months, around the
clock, until my preemie began nursing at the breast.   I not only maintained
my supply, but increased it just before my baby took off nursing like a
champ.

About 2 weeks ago, I visited my sister and her new baby in NYC, and left my 2
year old son at home with dad and his sisters.  I had the opportunity to use
her PNS while away from my nursing toddler.  Obviously, my milk supply isn't
that of a mom with a newborn, but I did need to pump once or twice a day.

The bottom line?  In my assessment, the PNS is a nice pump, it worked well
and was convenient.  BUT, it's no hospital quality, piston driven pump.  In
my own comparison of the two, it just felt like it was less effective, had
less vacuum pressure and was less "thorough" than the other.

I have a rental/retail station and have several employed mothers that are
pleased with the PNS.  But for a mom with no baby at the breast?  I really
encourage them to stick with the rental pumps.  They may pay a little more in
the long run, but what about the anxiety and costs of decreasing or losing a
milk supply?

An LC in town has had at least a couple of cases where the mom with a preemie
did  purchase the PNS that went on to report a decrease in milk supply.

Barb Gabbert-Bacon, LLL Leader, Wichita, KS