From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 15:42:12 -0700
Nikki wrote :"I am working with a mother that had an unmedicated, fast
(about 5 hour)
birth with her first baby, a son. The hospital they were in practices the
forced, scheduled latching techniques. He was circumcised before he went
home. The parents followed this practice for a week. Baby refuses to latch.
     Now she is feeding on cue. She is pumping, has tons of milk, baby and
she love skin-to-skin.
     Last night, we tried remedial co-bathing. I have never had a baby do
what this boy did. He basically froze and went into deep sleep from a quiet
alert state. He would not be aroused by anything. At first he was floating
in
the bath, supported by her hands. Then he went to her chest. Still no
response from him, even while drizzling warm water over him. "

This response sounds like what some babies do during circumcision.  I would
guess that something about being put in the bath reminded the baby of that
experience.  Perhaps being naked and being handed down into the bath (I
assume that you handed him down to his mother in the tub) made him think he
was being put on a circumstraint.  Or, maybe, if the circumcision is not
well healed yet, the water touching his glans was painful for him.

In the time since this happened, has the baby gone back to nursing well and
being comfortable with skin to skin?

Aloha,
Darillyn