From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 1996 02:11:54 -0500
HI All!

Another book that I personally love is The Complete Book of Breastfeeding by
Eiger and Olds.  I spent a lot of time with this book and found it very
helpful and easy to read and understand.

About relactation, I think that Lisa has brought up a good point about what
we tell moms about relactation.  Knowing from personal experience how hard it
is to keep up an 8-12 times a day pumping schedule, it is no wonder that many
moms throw in the towel.  How discouraging it must be to work so hard and see
so little change.  I am working with a mom right now who is trying to get her
supply in.
This poor gal fell off a ladder (three rungs up from the bottom) at 7 1/2 mo
preg (2 weeks before Christmas Eve) and had three compound fractures in her
right leg!  She underwent 3 surgeries (2 of which were really messed up, and
all done with a spinal or epidural) awake.  The 4 th surgery, the babies
(twins) started having probs, they did an emergency c-sec., knocked her out
and finished the surgery.  Three days later, after insisting like crazy and
threatening to sue, the Drs finally let her see her babies.(the babies were
fine, they just wanted her to rest.  :/ )  Up until this point she was not
given a pump to use, Drs said that since her milk wasn't in yet, there was no
need.  When her milk started to come in on day 4, they brought her a
pump...twice a day.  She survived like this for 5 days, then was sent home
with NO pump and with the babies.  She called me when the babies were about 4
weeks old.  She had been hand expressing, and using the hospital pump when
she would go in for appointments for her leg.  Needless to  say, her milk
supply was a little low.  :/  No one had helped her try to L-O the twins, tho
she had tried.  To make a long story short, she is now pumping all over the
place, in hopes of getting something of a milk supply going.  Our WIC LC will
be doing a home visit to see about L-O help.  This mom is very realistic
about her situation, and whether or not she will be able to get a supply, and
if she does, how much of a supply she will get.  She is very upset about the
lack of BF help and support she had at the hospital, but is so eager to BF,
that she will do anything it takes to try.  I wonder how long she will try.
 The last time I talked to her she said "But I get so little!".  I told her
that anything she got was great and to take what she could get and give it to
the babies.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for her!
At least I didn't tell her that it was a sure thing that she could get her
supply back!  Given her situation, quite frankly, I'll be surprised if she
gets a supply at all!
Anyway, I'm going into ramble mode now.  Must be time for bed!

Take care all!
Jay