From:
Debbie Jensen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Feb 2006 19:00:07 -0500
I am searching for anyone with experience helping a breastfeeding mother
who  has an insulin dependant, nursing child.  The baby I am working with
is now 12 months old.  He was diagnosed at 7 months of age and continues to
be a vigorous breast feeder. We have used in home test weights to estimate
his insulin need to cover the breast feedings.
Mother and baby are not ready to wean.
Managing the insulin dose for variable night feedings is a difficult part
of this and the mother has repeated been told "maybe you should wean
completely or at least stop all night time feedings".  The baby is feeding
1-3 times at night depending on his need. Typically when his blood sugar is
high he doesn't feel good and is difficult to console, but he will nurse
for 5-10 minutes and then be able to fall asleep, which of course
negatively impacts his blood sugar levels.
This mother is also interested in networking with other mother's in this
situation.
Any direct email response would be appreciated.
Debbie Jensen
Lactation Coordinator
SHMC Eugene, Oregon