Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 21:15:14 EST
Dear Lactnet,
    Cynthia's post about labeling children with their condition/disorder is
an important reminder to rethink how we phrase things.
    Ten years ago I asked one of my daughters doctors to stop referring to
her as "a cystic."
Since then he has mentioned how he has corrected others, all well-meaning
clinicians, using the "slang" of the Cystic Fibrosis Center.   Just this year
I mentioned it to some CF Foundation staffers who used the same phrase.
    Most folks are glad to have this pointed out so they don't inadvertently
hurt anyone's feelings.  As we work with families, we see many conditions and
disorders and I hope this will help others rephrase positively.  Thanks,
Cynthia.
Happy Thanksgiving from the sunny, cool South,
Jan Ellen Brown IBCLC
Charlotte, NC