From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jul 2006 16:05:47 +1000
Can you imagine 600 women and their milk dried up overnight!
It's just unbearable! However are we going to stop this happening continually???? Every time there is a disaster ignorant aid workers harm babies and their mothers.
Karleen Gribble
Australia

http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailheadlines.asp?fileid=20060722.A05&irec=4

Outbreaks of illness reported among Cilacap tsunami survivors

Suherdjoko, The Jakarta Post, Cilacap

Five days after the earthquake-triggered tsunami swept Java's southern coast, illness has broken out among groups of displaced people in cramped camps in Cilacap, Central Java, while others are still awaiting assistance.

More than 1,250 of the 5,000 displaced people taking refuge on Mt. Selok in Adipala district are complaining of diarrhea, skin irritations and breathing problems. ...."About 600 mothers are having trouble breast-feeding their infants due to the stress of the tsunami and living in the camps.

"We're lucky that we immediately received milk formula among the relief aid although the quantity is not much. Those children have to be satisfied with formula since their mothers' breast milk suddenly dried up," said another health worker, Nuraeni.