From:
Anne Grider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 13:13:27 -0500
Gonneke,
You have brought back one of the funniest memories of my life!  In 1966 my
family lived  in Orleans, France.  My husband was in the USArmy.  One day a
beautiful gypsy woman came to my door begging.  I was enthralled. She was
the picture of Hollywood's version of a gypsy. ( As a child I saw those
movies and used to sing about "when your love wears golden earrings" and was
always a gypsy at Halloween.) Mostly through charades she told me she needed
a coat, and a number of other things.  I gave her the few things I felt I
could spare, but she continued asking for things.  When she got to a
tablecloth I knew I'd been conned.  At this point I told her I'd be glad to
give her more things if she would come to work for me doing some cleaning
and laundry. By  reaching down her dress, bringing up a breast and squirting
milk clear across the room, she managed to convey to me that she had a
nursing baby so could not work. I didn't know another nursing mother at the
time and considered squirting back to convey my joy.  Instead, I chose to
simply point to my baby and my blouse to let her know we shared this
wondrous feature in common.   I wonder to this day if I could have squirted
that far!

Anne Grider, IBCLC,  showing my age in Marietta, GA