From:
Nancy Holtzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 23:11:31 -0400
Carol Brussel wrote:
yes, rob, the last step is very important. the dog should not be having
breastmilk; it is not species specific for dogs.

Today I took my two young children to Drumlin Farm in Sudbury MA.  It is a
large working farm run by the Audobon Society for children to see and learn
about animals.  Lots of spring babies had sprung!
In the sheep pen,  I spotted a tiny black sheep.  He was much smaller than
the other babies.  I asked the worker, who told me that he was a triplet,
and had been abandoned by his mother.  A sign on the wall added more: "A
sheep has two teats so she can nurse two babies.  Her third baby is being
bottlefed to ensure he gets plenty of milk".  I don't know much about
sheep, but I know lots about nursing and this sounded suspect to me.
Over in the pig pen, a litter of nine piglets snoozed in hay under a
warming light.  The sign over them said "The pig's mother was being very
unfriendly and has been moved from the farm for safety reasons.  We are
bottlefeeding the piglets with milk from our cows".
It was quite an education for me, I'll tell you!
NancyH

Nancy Holtzman RN BSN MOM
Great Beginnings New Mothers Groups
Boston MA