From:
Annelies Bon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Sep 1998 08:57:57 +0200
We do not have the Ezzo's in The Netherlands, but we don't 'need' them. The
common practices in the Netherlands already tends to be very Ezzo-like.
Women are strongly recommended by both family and other surrounders as by
the baby check up centers, to feed on schedule. On the baby checp up
cenmters, the nurses allways ask "how many times do you feed him" and they
are commend to only feed a few times a day (eg 5 times when the baby is 2
months old). The reason behind this is not allways clear. It's just how it
is, but often there are ideas behind it about "baby needs structure",
"needs to learn to adapt to the parents life", etc.

Often when women come to my meetings, they apologize when they pick up
their babies, bc they think they others will disapprove it ("yes, i know ,
i'm spoiling him", do they say on forehand).

The first question new parents meet is "So, how many times is he fed?" The
second is: "Does he sleep through the night yet?"

Fortunately these women do not feel abandoned by god or the church when
they do not follow these recommendations, but the social pressure is at
least as strong.

Our bf rates? 65-70% at birth; half of it at 1 month; 17% at 3 months.

Annelies Bon
breastfeeding counsellor of the Dutch bf org "Borstvoeding Natuurlijk"
mailto:[log in to unmask]