From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Apr 2005 21:00:25 -0400
As I was browsing PubMed for articles on engorgement, I came upon this, that
I thought was interesting.   I wonder how they measured post partum mental
state?  I wonder what shorter starting time of lactation means, I mean,
compared to what?

Kathleen Bruce RN IBCLC
Independent consultant: Breastfeeding Clinic of Vermont, Lactation
Resources of Vermont, Medela, Inc. Listowner Lactnet listserv
Archives: http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html

[Impact of epidural anesthesia during delivery on breast feeding]

[Article in Chinese]

Wang BP, Li QL, Hu YF.

Department of Obstetrics, Second People's Hospital of Guangdong, Guangzhou
510317, China.

OBJECTIVE: To explore the influence of epidural anesthesia during delivery
on breast feeding. METHOD: A total of 170 healthy women hospitalized for
vaginal delivery without obstetric complications during the year 2001 to
July 2003 were analyzed, who were divided into observation group (n=96) with
continuous epidural anesthesia and control group (n=74) without continuous
epidural anesthesia or postpartum analgesia. The data of analgesic efficacy,
postpartum mental state, starting time of lactation, milk quantity and the
feeding times in 24 h and prolactin level before and 48 h after delivery
were analyzed statistically. RESULTS: The women in the observation group
reported better analgesic efficacy than the control group (P<0.01) with also
better postpartum mental state (P<0.05). The observation group had shorter
starting time of lactation and larger quantity of milk secretion (P<0.05)
with higher prolactin level 48 h after delivery (P<0.05) than the control
group. CONCLUSIONS: Continuous epidural anesthesia and postpartum analgesia
are effective and safe with little side effects in pain relief, improving
the mental state, and promoting breast feeding. Obvious analgesic effect
reduces catecholamine level, promotes prolactin secretion, and benefits the
breast feeding.

PMID: 15684016 [PubMed - in process]