From:
"Linda J. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Dec 2000 17:25:28 -0500
Barbara, what a great concept - "functionally illiterate in breastfeeding
knowledge." I sorta knew that, but never had words for it. Which explains
one of my current habits - that of delivering my "canned speech" (even
labeled as such) to EVERY client I see, for any reason, even just a pump
rental.  It goes something like this:

"I need to give you my 2-minute canned speech because it's part of <my
service to you, the pump rent, etc.> . If you already know these things,
please humor me and listen anyway. If anything is new or different from what
others may have said, we can discuss it further.

1. Rule #1 is "Feed the Baby." Babies are trying to double their weight in 4
months. An average size baby needs about 24 ounces in 24 hours, or
approximately one ounce of nutritious liquid per hour. A baby's stomach in
the first few weeks is less than 2 ounces in capacity (golf ball size).  Do
the math. If in doubt, feed again. Any food is better than no food. Mother's
own milk is better than anything else. Don't use a pacifier.
2. Making milk is easy - remove milk thoroughly and regularly, and more will
be made. If you (or the baby) are removing about 80%, supply is maintained
in a rather steady state. If you remove more, total supply increases. If
more than 20% is left in your breast, supply goes down a bit. What you eat
or drink has VERY LITTLE effect on milk volume or even on milk composition -
making milk isn't about drinking a lot of fluids, it's about using the milk
you're making. Nearly all medications are considered compatible with
breastfeeding.
3. Babies need nearly constant time and touch to thrive, especially in the
first 9-12 months of "external gestation." If a feed lasts 20 minutes, the
baby needs at least another 20 minutes of holding. Skin-to-skin contact is
just about as important as food, so keep your baby close and  "get naked"
with your baby every day.
4. Trust your instincts. If you think something's wrong, call the doctor
immediately. If you aren't helped, keep calling other sources of help until
you are taken seriously and the situation is thoroughly evaluated.
5. Little breastfeeding questions and problems are easier to fix than big
ones. If breastfeeding hurts, something is wrong. Call if you have
questions - I can answer little questions in a few minutes, or at least
figure out whether it's a little problem or a big one pretty quickly."

Linda J. Smith, BSE, FACCE, IBCLC
Bright Future Lactation Resource Centre www.bflrc.com
6540 Cedarview Ct., Dayton, OH 45459-1214 USA
(937) 438-9458 email [log in to unmask]