From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 2003 13:43:36 EST
At our hospital we have a breastfeeding task force and one of the members is
a pediatrician who is very supportive of breastfeeding.  He commented that
having a breastfeeding baby is more work and worry than a baby receiving formula
is a pediatrician's practice.
I asked him if he worries about the formula feed baby receiving the correctly
mixed amounts, water contaminants or weight gains and he said no.  I also
pointed out that this concern would only be the first few weeks in general and he
agreed but said that he and his colleagues see a new baby in their practice
that is breastfeeding as more work and worry.
My boss pointed out that the increase illnesses of formula feed babies in
these practices again just represents the norm.  Also that formula feed newborns
again have moved to the norm instead of the breastfeed infant.  :-(
What do other pediatricians and Family Practice on this list feel or observe?
 Is this the general thinking?  How do we get past this?  I know if the
campaign goes forward this will help but this is very sad.  It appears that we have
been a bottle/formula feed society so long that we cannot trust what is
natural.
Ann Perry RN IBCLC
Boston, MA