From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Dec 2011 07:40:05 -0500
Dear Lactnet Friends:

I just read a report from an Australian paper, where the statement was made
that 26% of new mothers think that breastmilk substitutes are as good as
human milk. In my region, the percentage is much higher.

We must be more proactive then, and everyone talk about the risks of
formula feeding, or the risks of not breastfeeding, with a loving heart and
objectivity. As long as so many feel that formula is an adequate
substitute, then industry still has a entry point.

What of the women that can't or won't breastfeed? They still need to know
that a substitute is not as good as the real thing. That is true in other
arenas. Butter is turning out to be healthier than margarine; wild fish is
better than farm-raised. Food has to be real, dynamic and full of life and
enzymes and sometimes other organisms (i.e. probiotics) to be healthy and
nourishing. Industrial food, processed out of value, is a shoddy substitute
for the real thing. This is true for adult food as well as for infant food.

When enough people get angry that their babies can't have the best food,
human milk ( both formal and informal) will become more available. When the
knowledge that formula is full of health risks becomes part of mainstream
knowledge, then we will have reached the tipping point.

warmly,

--
Nikki Lee RN, BSN, Mother of 2, MS, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI, ANLC, CKC
craniosacral therapy practitioner