Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 17:19:05 -0500
>I am very interested because in our facility with so many inductions, we see
>weight loss in babies of 7 & 8% within 24 hours. These are babies who have
>nursed once or twice in that time, but are very sleepy. We have these mothers
>kangaroo care, but these babies are busy pooping and peeing up a storm

Cheryl, the part about "so many inductions" and "busy pooping and peeing up
a storm" are significant. You seem to be reflecting an understanding that
iductions with Pit and the accompanying IVs will cause edema in the baby
who will urinate more than normal (normal being breastfed infants) for the
first day or two. The accompanying weight loss is loss of water not fat
stores.

THe longer the induction meds are administrated the more edemic mom and
baby will be. A breastfed infant who urinates 3-4 times on day one and two
is not operating within the norm.  Once again measuring (scale weight) is
being misinterpreted and unhealthy practices being implemented.

I have "educated" several Peds to this fact and they are not fretting when
a baby loses water weight, as indicated by abnormal urination before the
mature milk is in.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Mailto:[log in to unmask]