Date:
Sat, 26 Jul 2003 02:41:02 -0400

 Hi Ann

I think that perhaps in your baby's case,the high sodium was incidental.I
do remember a baby we had, who the ped. thought was dry & did a sodium
level & it was high.We didnt think the baby was unduely dry;just a normal
baby, waiting for the milk to come in.I think it was day 3.Needless to say
the baby WAS fine, the next day when the milk came in.It was a new ped.
RMO.We dont normally do sodiums on babies we think are dry.We just try &
get more fluid into them.
Do you think that perhaps some healthy term babies would have high sodiums
if they were tested before the milk comes in?What do you think Nancy or any
others?How high is high anyway?
I know with our blood sugar protocol ,we changed it,so that BSL's were'nt
done till after the second feed,based on some research that it was normal
for a healthy term newborn to have a low blood sugar straight after birth.
It could really stuff the breastfeeding up in either case(high sodium or
low BSL),if formula was given or the baby was separated from the mother for
IV or whatever.
I think sometimes we dont really know the full scope of what can be
normal.We have to look at the big picture.Sometimes I think everyone is so
freaked out about getting sued that we ignore common sense & instincts.

 Anne Fox
Australia