From:
vgthorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jan 2014 08:24:25 +1000
Jean,

It looks as if  your granddaughter is doing a great job and your
great-grandson sounds a bright little fellow with the advantage of being
surrounded by love. Heat treating is certainly a delicate balance and if it
is too hot and for too long can destroy too much of the living cellular
components, as you know. I assume you mean flash heating, and other
lactnetters are sure to provide specifics on this.

Certainly avoid boiling, which can serve up a dead fluid, when a compromised
infant particularly needs the cellular component for protection. In a report
by Tassovatz and Kotsitch on the persistence of an outbreak of enteral
infection in a Belgrade neonatal nursery in 1959-1960, only the babies who
received boiled human milk were infected (1). No cases occurred in infants
receiving direct breastfeeding (not exclusive as sugar water was given).
Despite every precaution, the epidemic continued, until all premature babies
were given raw human milk. After that there were no more cases.  A small
Australian study by Stark and Lee found that premature infants fed EBM that
was heated to boiling point were colonised by similar levels of facultively
anaerobic bacteria to artificially-fed term infants (2). These prematures
were also slow to be colonised by the beneficial bifidobacteria. The authors
seemed not to make a connection to the boiling process, which appears to
have been standard.

1) Tassovatz B, Kotsitch A. Annales de Pediatrie 1961; 37: 285-288. [In
French]
2) Stark PL, Lee A. J Hyg (London) 1982; 89(1): 59-67.

Best wishes,
Virginia

Dr Virginia Thorley, OAM, PhD, IBCLC, FILCA
Honorary Research Fellow
School of History, Philosophy, Religion & Classics
The University of Queensland, QLD 4072
email: [log in to unmask]
Australia