From:
Brenda Phipps <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 1997 16:29:14 -0700
Hello, I am new to LACTNET - it is exciting to post my first comments!

I have worked for WIC for 51/2 years as breastfeeding coordinator, and LOVE
talking to new moms about breastfeeding.  In my early years working for WIC,
I was, too, extremely cautious on finding the EXACT right way to say, "Do
you plan to breastfeed?" without "upsetting" the pregnant mom to-be.
However, after 5 years of doing this job, I find myself not obsessing over
this issue any more.  This is our JOB!  Nobody worries over the exact right
way to say, "Do you know where you can get your baby immunized?" , and
physicians have no problem telling patients they should not smoke.  Why
should we, as health professionals, feel any differently about giving
appropriate information about breastfeeding?  It is in the mom's and baby's
best interest to have information, and we are there to give it.

I say, "Do you plan to breastfeed?", "WIC strongly supports breastfeeding -
what information can I give to help you?", and anything else that comes to
mind, without WORRYING about it.  Nobody has ever complained, treated me
rudely, or told me that it's none of my business. In fact, people THANK me
for asking frequently. I really believe that when we continue to treat the
wording of our questions with such concern, it impacts the normalcy of what
breastfeeding is and should be. Not only does it affect our clients, but it
also effects the way our co-workers support what we do.

Hope this makes sense, and keep up the good work WIC workers everywhere!!