Date:
Sun, 3 Apr 2011 00:17:33 EDT

In a message dated 4/2/2011 10:09:08 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

I guess  I'm saying that there are no easy answers and I think it's grossly
 oversimplifying a very complicated situation to say that all tongue ties
need  to be clipped or that conversely, as some MD's seem to believe, no
tongue ties  need to be clipped.

Laura,

You are so right. Still, I don't actually know anyone, IBCLC or MD who
thinks all tongue ties need to be released. Local ENTs are not out looking for
tongue tied babies, though some of the pediatricians seem to think they
are.  These ENTs and Pediatric Dentists get referrals from us IBCLCs, not
because we  see that skin under the tongue, or feel it, but because a functional
issue has  been demonstrated. I agree that in time, some babies will learn
to work around  their limitation and may not have future speech articulation
issues. I've seen a  baby who suddenly got strong enough, and big enough by
3 weeks to get a full  feeding at breast, without causing pain. Baby was
partially breastfeeding prior,  with
medium/ minor pain. I've also seen babies whose moms have  been patiently
waiting for 6-12 weeks and baby still cannot  feed without causing extreme
pain, and get satiated normally.    It would be great to have real research.
My sister and her husband are both  tongue tied, we realized, when I
identified my nephew's restriction almost 5  years ago. Neither parent has speech
issues, but my sister reported  afterwards "that's why he such a bad kisser."
They both do have more dental  problems than me or my brother, who are not
tongue tied. Both of their children  had severe and ongoing nursing problems,
and also bottlefeeding challenges  before the releases were done. (Nephew
could latch but caused wounding and pain  at every feed and could never
finish satiated even at a month. My sister steeled  herself for 3 painful
nursings a day and he got only her milk after a good pump  built her supply to
normal. His bottlefeeding improved after the release but not  much change in the
nursing. I believe he needed bodywork but could not  convince my sister.
Also there were no post-release exercises being done at  that time. I think
this might have made a difference as well.  Niece born 4  years later, tongue
tie, no latch at all, unless in super supportive position,  and then no milk
transfer at all, even at 3+ weeks of age. After release, with a  local
IBCLCs help( thanks to both Barbara L and Barbara LZ) , niece fully off  bottle
and only breastfeeding within weeks, after absolutely no change before.)
Would she have gotten there by 6-12 weeks? I doubt it. I know my sister was
exhausted and stressed and this felt like a really good decision to her.
Honestly, it was the best Christmas gift I ever received to see her just calmly
 sitting on the couch, nursing her baby.  There's a lot we don't know,  and
I admit I have neither a magic wand nor a crystal ball in my bag. I think
most IBCLCs just work really, really hard to assess everything, try lots of
things, strategize, reassess and discuss my assessments and what might
helpful to move a family forward toward an "enjoyable", as Dr. Kotlow says
breastfeeding relationship.

Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL