From:
Linda Volkovitsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 11:09:18 -0400
Hi all.  One of our Nursing Mothers Counselors has developed a stomach ulcer and she is nursing her 9 week old baby.  She has been told that she cannot use Zantac or Tagament, the only medications she has used previously with ulcers.  She was given Carafate but told not to drink milk or take antacids one hour before the medication.  She feels she cannot make it one hour in order to take the medication, as the milk and antacids are the only things that help the pain.  She is feeling her only option is to "pump and dump" to take Zantac or Tagament.  Is there an ulcer medication that is compatible with breastfeeding and doesn't have the dietary restrictions of Carafate?  I'm sorry but I don't know any of the generic names for the drugs.  Please let me know if you have any information on this (Dr. Newman?  Dr. Hale?).  She hates to pump and dump and give ABM even for a few weeks, but will do it if this is the only way to control her ulcer.  And yes, she knows the underlying caus!
 e which caused the ulcers and is working on resolving those matters.  Unfortunately "those matters" are family, so the ulcer could be around for a while yet.  Thanks so much for your help!

Linda V.