From:
Samantha Pfeifer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2007 12:07:19 -0400
There were 2 press releases out last week, touting advancements in ABM. One
press release was reporting on the results of a study that found that children
given enfamil lipil as infants had similar brain and eye development at four
years of age as breastfed infants. Here's a link to the press release:
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/82882.php
I couldn't find the study - does anyone have access to it?
The second press release announces the development of a "bioactive insulin
protein that can be added to commercial infant formulas to make them closer
to mother's milk."
http://www.israel21c.org/bin/en.jsp?enDispWho=Articles%
5El1775&enPage=BlankPage&enDisplay=view&enDispWhat=object&enVersion=0&
enZone=Health
I've been stewing on these for a day or so and have just felt irritated. The
reason being that "advancements" that make ABM more like breastmilk are
wonderful for infants that for some reason cannot receive breastmilk, but
unfortunately that is not usually why ABM use is so widespread. As the
second article explains: "As supplements given with formula for babies become
an accepted part of modern motherhood, Nutrinia believes that InsuMeal will
become synonymous with healthy baby nutrition."
This is what irked me - I don't want ABM to become a (more) accepted part of
motherhood. I wish that "breastfeeding" would become synonymous with
healthy baby nutrition.
Thank you for letting me vent.
Samantha