From:
Dawn Kersula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 12:32:34 -0400
Laurie,
We're now into our sixth year of running a wildly successful weekly New Moms
Network - not specifically a breastfeeding group, but that's who comes.
(It's also very much an attachment parenting group for some strange
reason...)

We have had a wonderful response to having speakers come from the community.
It seems to give moms "permission" to come - "I don't need a support group
but I want to learn about being a good parent."

I invite various constituents from our Maternal Child Health coalition.We've
had early interventionists (who talk about infant development),
psychologists (who talk about "Raising an emotionally healthy child" -
attachment parent, natch!), the RD from the Brattleboro Coop discussed
"Making Your Own Baby Food" - always a BIG hit!; we've had massage
therapists, aromatherapists, PT's, belly dancers - all talking about moms as
well as babes. Music and You was a big hit, as well as a music teacher who
came and taught lullabies and word games. La Leche League comes from time to
time.

As a result - the hospital is getting lots of good lovin' from local
businesses and agencies who always felt "shut out" before. I am VERY careful
not to invite people back if they are commercial - for example, if you're
selling Discovery Toys, you'd better come and talk about infant development
and toys in general. Then if people want your business card, fine.

The agency people are always just plain great. We've had several babies who
were developmentally slow who ended up with regular early intervention
because of their time here.

Also - sometimes we have Goof Off Day. Those are popular too. And we now
have a Safe Kids presentation (from a local coalition) in the evening, with
dads invited, because they complained that the women were having altogether
too much fun!  There have been lots of play group spin-offs.

Last but not least, our market share has gone up very nicely, since we take
ALL moms in our group, no matter where they had their babies.

Dawn Kersula RN, FACCE, IBCLC
Brattleboro Vermont
....and in the throes of birthing our new volunteer Doula program!