From:
Joanne McCrory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 1999 22:41:48 -0600
I will be going to care for this baby girl for the first week when she is
discharged (probably Sunday)  I have done non-stop soul searching about
giving EBM.  The thought of bottles and formula  are foreign and scary to me
as I did not do any with my own children.  I am used to knowing exactly what
I am doing.

More importantly, I realize that my instincts are correct; this baby needs
love and nurturance.  No apologies there.  But Pat is right, she is not my
baby.  I just want her to have a mommy.  So, am I being selfish or
self-less. In a way, that doesn't matter because this is not about me.  But
I must examine my motives. Nothing like to little sleep to be too esoteric.

I may contact the LC at Johns Hopkins and suggest that she just walk into
the mom's room with pump in hand and suggest that because the milk is bound
to come in anyway....and it would give mom some way to be pro-active and to
nurture her baby and lend a bit of normality.....and that the act of
lactating is relaxing and brings mom some hormonal support....   Maybe if
its not a big, abstract discussion and we just get going.

I do not know what I am going to do yet.  I will have this child in my arms
24 hours a day and will enjoy every minute of it.  I will make a video of
her for her mom and ask mom to make an audio tape for the baby.  (thank you
Kathleen Bellis for the ideas!)

If you feel that this discussion has gone on long enough, you can email me
privately.  I will update the list if anything changes with mom or baby.  I
will ask any MD's out there if they have any info on this condition to
contact me.

Many thanks,
Joanne