From:
Barneveld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 22:40:19 +1200
Mom going to a lecture - I did this with a six week old. I was lucky the principal lecturers had watched me thru pregnancy and where actualy quite disappointed Jonathan only came once! MEd rather than MBA though. A couple of hints - it is easier to have an on site caregiver who brings the baby to you. I ahve done this for my block courses all year cos even when everyone is impressed with how quiet and good baby is I tended to have difficulty concentrating if Iwas looking after him (worry he might disturb others) A couple of hints though find a comfortable chair for nursing near the back door. The college disabilities coordinator might be able to help with this. regardless of a baby's age normal lecture seating is not comfortable to feed in. Secondly take a couple of changes of top layer clothing, you can feel self concious enough without leakage/spit up decoration. getting the lecture taped is an option, I also have negotiated with the lecturer as to which bits are critical to be at and which bits could be covered with extra reading. Another thing to be cautious of is that if the baby is there be careful of over handling by all the class members who want to admire.
Older mother/milk supply issues - my purely anecdotal expereince is that mothers over forty sometimes seem to have less resilience of supply eg they need to be a little more careful to eat well, get adequate rest etc than a twenty year old and sometimes it has taken several weeks for their supply to be established to HCP's satisfaction ie it has taken their babies longer to regain birthweight and start gaining but then after a month to six weeks they're away.Nappy counts were fine throughout, stooling ocassionally marginal.
Night weaning- have had similar success as Monique's with a twenty month old.An intermediate step was doing count down nursing eg counting backwards from 10 then a cuddle to sleep shortening the countdown over a week. With another older child who was in her own bed i went to her bed rather than letting her come to ours which also helped. Both of them pretty well started sleeping through within a couple of weeks of stopping nursing.
My vent _ NZ passed a modified industry code last year which has been fairly closely monitored, it just seems every time I take my kids to the doctor there is more formula sponsored literature. The latest give aways for the ante-natal clinic-left out for mother's to help themselves rather than being given out by the doctor included a sheet on looking after yourself while breastfeeding which implied that breastfeeding would exhaust you, severely curtail your diet and basically stop you having any funall under the guise of "helpful hints". The only free samples in this pack were breast cream. i didn't say anything to our doctor who was sick himself and barely holding it together cos what was really upsetting me was as alocal breastfeeding support agency we couldn't afford to compete. This practise would happily put up a similar display of give away breastfeeding leaflets but even the good ones we do have are single colour printing mainly text. No cute teddy bears and full colour printing. I will probably write to the Monitoring Committee about some aspects of this pack and I will talk about it with the doctor but i guess I'm not surprised our breastfeeding stats are on the way down. Sonja LLLL Lower HuttNZ