From:
Tricia Kelly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jun 2011 08:27:57 -0400
The hospital I work at is trying to improve their breastfeeding rates.  Some obstacles we face are getting patients to room in over night and open visiting hours during the day.  We feel the two are related.  Exhausted Mom...baby in nursery at night...baby gets bottle.  I was wondering if anyone with hospital experience would mind sharing information on how you instituted rest hours during the day.  The hours that worked for your hospital.  Are/were there any interuptions allowed (ie., lab, desert cart,etc).  How many people and who you would allow at bedside to support Mom.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, We are also wondering where other hospitals allow employees to pump.  Do you have a pumping room?  Is it unit by unit or do you allow employees to pump on the mother/baby unit.  If they do pump on mother/baby do they use the floor hospital grade pumps.

Again thank you for your input!

Tricia Kelly RN, IBCLC

Scarsdale, NY