Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Nov 2009 14:24:13 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
Just heard about this - it's a government regulation thing having to do with cost-shifting.  Hospitals are being required to charge for rooms.  Not to do so is said to be shifting costs to existing patients.  If the hospital doesn't comply, they can be slapped with a big fine.  No good deed goes unpunished! (sorry for the cynicism).  This was the explanation also given why MD's can't "forgive" co-pays and must collect upfront for services.  The rationale is "if you can afford to give it away for free, you can just give all your services away or charge much less."  Something about spreading the baseline costs across the customers and requiring all to contribute, not increasing costs to some to subsidize freebies to others.  (is that why formula is so expensive?) 

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ellen Pinker
Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 11:13 AM
Subject: Extended Hospital Stay for newborns on antibiotics

This question is for any hospital LC's out there. My hospital has always let breastfeeding moms of babies who have to have an extended hospital stay, stay at the hospital in a room as a non patient. They now want to discontinue that practice. Please let me know what your hospitals do so that I may let my director know. 
Thank you so much!

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2