From:
Kershaw Jane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Nov 2009 14:24:13 -0600
Just heard about this - it's a government regulation thing having to do with cost-shifting.  Hospitals are being required to charge for rooms.  Not to do so is said to be shifting costs to existing patients.  If the hospital doesn't comply, they can be slapped with a big fine.  No good deed goes unpunished! (sorry for the cynicism).  This was the explanation also given why MD's can't "forgive" co-pays and must collect upfront for services.  The rationale is "if you can afford to give it away for free, you can just give all your services away or charge much less."  Something about spreading the baseline costs across the customers and requiring all to contribute, not increasing costs to some to subsidize freebies to others.  (is that why formula is so expensive?)