From:
LuvMySarah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 1998 01:31:02 EST
Your post made me remember last summer when someone actually did this for my
son...My husband and I are Civil War Reenactors and our unit is an Artilery
unit. In 23 years we have never had a serious accident.. Our unit was at the
Annual Train Raid in Gettysburg, PA this past September. I was on the train in
my new period skirt and chambray nursing top (ok it probably wasn't correct
for the period, but the fabric was...)when our cannon fired prematurely as the
#2 man was ramming the charge down the barrel....As soon as I heard our boys
call for a Medic I handed the baby to my friend and jumped off the train to
help...To make this short, the man's right hand and arm were severely injured
and since I worked with his wife at the hospital, I went to tell her and give
her a ride to the scene...When I got back all I wanted was to know that the
baby was ok and not starving as it was WAY past his dinner time...I got to our
seat and a very nice lady was nursing him...He was calm and almost sleeping..I
burst into tears of gratitude and thanked her profusely...My poor friend had
waited as long as she could and this lady came forward...It was something
special that only anither nursing mother could have offered...I was touched..
My friend's husband has recovered and is in therapy to regain more use of his
arm and hand...He is left handed.....
Sorry this was so long!
Kathy Rehmert
Mommy to Sarah and George