Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2007 17:04:58 +0100
>They perform comparison studies in usually hundreds of babies at a
>time, occasionally thousands, comparing one modification to another.
>There's follow-up into childhood in some. There are thousands of
>studies.

Is this correct? Whose babies are they testing, and comparing, and
how? Where are the 1000s of studies published? Are these  *real*
babies being given an unbranded formula to 'test drive'  with a new,
untested ingredient or modification? Are these studies independent?

It's news to me that formula modifications are tested in this way.

[I know they test on some babies - I have seen a manufacturer's paper
recounting the results of a new formulation designed for 'unsettled'
babies. The sample was (from memory) about 20 babies who had
'unsettled' symptoms. There was no control sample. Some of them
'improved' ie had fewer 'unsettled' symptoms - though of course
without a control we have no way of knowing if these babies would
have improved anyway, as babies often do, with time. The mothers also
knew they were using a novel formulation, so there was no blinding.

That study does not impress me in the slightest!]

Heather Welford Neil
UK