From:
Chris van Laar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Aug 2002 23:43:23 +0200
I`m an IBCLC from the Netherlands, with the following question.
Since june I`m seeing this mother. She gave birth to her son in May.
Latching on was very difficult in the beginning and painfull. She contacted
me, we practised and feedings went better. But later it became worse. She
had two times a mastitis. Used nippleschields (not on my advice). In the
mean time she got cracked nipples. This was all in June. Her doctor
prescribed an antibacterial ointment.She didn`t use the nippleschields
anymore and things went better. I advised here in latching on properly. The
nipples were healing. At the end of June she called me with typical signs
of   a yeast infection on the baby as well on the nipples. She went to her
doctor to get a prespription.
Several days ago she called me: She still has a cracked nipple on the left
side, is still using daktarin (anti yeast ointment) and the baby still has
thrush on his tongue.

Should I advise her to take a stronger anti yeast drug
                               or to take something like an ointment with a
small amount of cortecosteriods
                                or something else.
I will see her on monday of course also to evaluate the latching on. But,
to be honest I find it very difficult to help this mother any further. Is
there anyone with a suggestion?

Greeting from Erica.