From:
Karen Gromada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Feb 2006 18:46:17 -0500
---- LACTNET automatic digest system <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > > This is my first post. I am a hospital based Lactation Consultant. I =
> have been at my place of employment for just over a year. I  have been =
> noticing discrepancies between the information given to pts regarding =
> Radio pharmaceuticals by our radiology department and the information =
> found in Hale. When a Pt requests this information from my colleagues =
> and I we find ourselves in a difficult position. We would usually just =
> give the information directly to the mother of the baby, but we have =
> recently been told by our supervisor that we must have the pediatricians =
> permission to give her that information or give it to the pediatrician =
> him or herself. I discussed with my nursing supervisor that I would like =
> to find out what the radiology department source of information is and =
> see if we could "get on the same page" so to speak. I think it goes =
> without saying the health of the baby is of course our number one =
> concern, but we don't want to see mothers dumping their precious breast =
> milk any longer than is necessary. My supervisor is in favor of me =
> contacting the radiology department head about this issue which I plan =
> to do, but I would love to have some insight first. I would like to be =
> diplomatic yet effective, and I would love to suggest the idea of using =
> Hales research as our standard. Does anyone out there know of an =
> institution that does. I suppose I am also a little nervous because I =
> know very little about this area and I'm afraid to sound dumb. Any =
> suggestions would be greatly appreciated. =20

Stephanie, have you gone to Dr. Hale's web site? He has updated info re: radio-contrast agents and radioactive agents you can link to from his home page. The article re: radi0-contrast agents is from the American College of Radiology, so the radiologists' own professional org. Dr. Hale's home page is:
http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/lact/

Karen