From:
Judith Hayman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 15:23:14 -0400
Today I referred to this list more times than I ever anticipated.

I was orienting a new non-professional staff person who will be working
on parenting issues.  She had absolutely no breastfeeding experience,
having formula fed her children.  It's hard to ask someone to promote
the heck out of breastfeeding and give them all the wonderful
information without having them end up feeling bad.

Thanks to the list for some terrific ideas on how to approach with her
(and _for her_ with the moms she'll see) the issue of not-breastfeeding
guilt.  We talked a lot about regret, especially the regret that her
caregivers, ten years ago, gave her poor information and pressure.  She
finished the session very "up" on breastfeeding and comfortable with the
idea that she personally had done the best she could based on the
information, supports and confidence (all very limited) that she'd had.
She's also planning to breastfeed the next child <G>

Judith

Judith Hayman, RN, IBCLC, BSc, BScN
905-318-5367 ext 312