From:
Naomi Bar-Yam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2001 16:03:51 -0400
> I am finding several Moms that will not put their babies to breast unless I
>am there with them.

Anita,
  Will they do other things for their babies without you?
Like changing diapers, bathing, changing clothes, taking temps.
etc? Will they nurse with other nurses or just you?
How big are the babies? How soon were they put on the breast
after birth? Do they seem to be nursing well? How experienced are
the moms?
I wonder if the problem isn't related to the fact that NICUs can
be scary places and moms are sometimes afraid of caring for their
little ones themselves. They are afraid something will happen
to the babies since they don't have the expertise of the
nurses and these are fragile babies. Perhaps you could start
with them taking over other tasks that are less threatening
when you are not around and move up to nursing.
  Naomi Bar-Yam