From:
Kate Hallberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 1996 16:01:10 -0700
I'd call it weaning milk, but the cause of the change is not really
decreased nursing, but rather pregnancy.  I'm wondering if the salts and
sugars just sort of trade concentrations, so the total solute (minus fats)
is going to be similar at similar stages of removal from the breast.  It
seems to me to be a very odd thing that breastmilk becomes *salty* during
pregnancy because the kidneys are doing their best to conserve sodium- why
isn't the body as a whole doing the same?  I went a couple of weeks craving
salt, so it seems to me to be a rather maladaptive strategy on the part of
my body- even if it does result in weaning by my two yo.

Also- at 19 weeks, it's not colostrum yet, but looks like very high fat
hindmilk.  (assuming we accept that term.  :-) )  Maybe it's colostrum with
little mature milk?

I know most people don't see LC's during pregnancy but I'm really curious
about the adaptive value of all this.

Kate

Buy a friend a beer, and she'll waste an hour.  Teach a friend to brew and
she'll waste a lifetime.

http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~kolina/Home.html (my home page)
http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~grunwald/House.html   Buy our House!