From:
Batya Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 13:40:55 +0200
Dear Julie,
My daughter Rena Lowenstein RN and I Batya Davis - recertified IBCLC run a breastfeeding support clinic in the middle of a religous neighborhood in Jerusalem Israel. In addition to Cynthia M.'s lovely general response,concerning the Cultural Art of Breastfeeding, consider  a couple  challenges the religous Jewish mom faces.  Your average LLL meeting rightly puts baby's needs first. I was a LLL leader years ago and understand the philosophy well.  A religous Mom has to make Shabbos every week, not to mention all the holidays.  This can be a stress on a breastfed babys needs. Also many of our clients have large families and limited financial recourses which require the mother to work.
How to cope with all these challenges while maintaining a good nursing relationship would make a great meeting topic. Religous moms may not come to your meetings simply because they may not see the regular meeting topics as relevant.
We would really appreciate more information on breastfeeding in large families! Other issues we commonly face are over-use of pacifier, lack of breastfeeding right after the birth because the moms are "too tired", and what to eat to make more milk. We also find a resistance to baby carriers and comfortable chairs for the mom. You need to see if this is relevant on your side of the Atlantic!

Batya Davis IBCLC
Rena Lowenstein RN