From:
"Berkeley, Libby" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 09:01:27 -0600
Hola Lactnetters - I just read something very near to my heart on another
list, one for parents of children with CF.  Since both of my boys have CF,
and we didn't know before they were weaned, they both got breastmilk.  But
for many children diagnosed as infants with CF, old-fashioned pediatric
pulmonologists (who generally manage CF) immediately put the babies on
Nut*****gen, a special formula for babies with metabolic diseases.  Its been
many years since the CF foundation began to stronghly recommended
breastmilk, but docs. sometimes are slow to change (..........).  Of course,
breastmilk is even more important for a baby with CF than other babies
because of the protection from potentially catastrophic infections.

 This particular mother wrote in to the group complaining of nipples that
were terribly sore from placing the enzymes (which are necessary for the
baby to digest the milk) on her nipple for the baby to ingest while nursing.
Since I didn't do this, I didn't know that these enzymes are very caustic
and cause terrible erosion to the nipples. The suggestions were helpful and
here they are:
        *Pump a small amount of milk before direct nursing and place the
enzymes in the baby's mouth, wash them down with milk in a syringe or cup
and be sure they are all out of the baby's mouth before latching.
        *Or, put your pinky into apple sauce and roll the enzymes (which are
usually small crystals taken out of the capsule provided by the pharmacy)
onto your finger and let the baby suck them off before latching.
        * Finally, even a small squirt of water with a syringe into the
baby's mouth before latching will help prevent contact between the nipple
and enzyme.

libby in El Paso