Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 1998 19:34:39 +0000
There is no reason a mother cannot breastfeeding while taking
carbimazole or propylthiouracyl.  I am not sure about the question of
taking this during pregnancy, but I don't think so.  However, chances
are the mother has postpartum thyroiditis which gets better within a
few weeks *spontaneously*, and needs usually to be treated
symptomatically only with propranalol (which also does not require
stopping breastfeeding).  Do not do a thyroid scan to differentiate
between postpartum thyroiditis and Grave's disease.  It's not
necessary.  Time will tell.

Hey, I thought the Aussies were doing so much better than the rest of
us in the English speaking world.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC