From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2007 00:15:16 +0100
Just to thank you all for the help and contacts that flooded in.  Mother
phoned ABA and left a message - I've not heard back on how that
tracked.  She got much better results from her breasts for switching to
hand expression in hot showers, and has managed some direct nursing in
the past 24 hours.  Subsequently, she is feeling more confident, less of
a failure, and is now researching the clipping issues prior to seeing
her paed. on Monday.

I should say that I didn't make a statement very clear in my post - and
apologies for that.  When I said the mother was violently opposed to
formula, I wasn't suggesting she was withholding formula.  She was
giving the top ups as directed, but was heartbroken to do so, and felt
she had failed utterly as a mother.  This was also why I questioned the
domperidone at 4 days - for how can anyone know if a mother has low
supply at four days, when she has a tongue tied baby and is not
responding well to an electric pump?  The message this mother had
received (regardless of what was given her) is that she had no to low
supply, and therefore her subsequent feelings of complete failure.  She
complied with the formula - but cried every time.  My immediate concern
was the threat to her supply from lack of proper stimulation from either
baby _or_ pump.

Mother was very well informed, had taken baby back to birth centre when
nappy count had dropped, and baby had only slight signs of dehydration
when assessed by paed and formula top up advice was given.  Again,
apologies for those who read it that she was not giving the top ups.

And interestingly, it turns out a surgeon in Perth is using a laser to
release tongue tie.  Perhaps we should compile a laser list!

I've asked the mother to review the first ten hours post partum, and to
look at all staff interaction she had, to see if she had been given
breastfeeding support but had someone missed the cue or dismissed the
staff member out of hand.  I've also stated that if she genuinely had no
breastfeeding support in the first hour, never mind the first ten hours,
she needs to talk to some at the unit about this when she feels able to
do so.

Morgan Gallagher
Online Lactaneer
Just nursed her 30 month old through a week long bout of rota virus and
needs considerably more sleep than she's had for said week.  And no, I
didn't think it was possible for projectile poo to have that sort of
stench.... or for that amount of it to explode out of such a tiny bottom
for quite such a long time.  Whoop whoop for Mama's milk 'tho... no
hospital admission... but Mama could do with a week in bed.