From:
Sam Doak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2007 11:03:40 -0500
<<And lest we forget, the baby who is getting one of these miracle
formulae is NOT getting the beneficial effects of colostrum...

norma>>

Absolutely!

And, please, let me make it clear, I do not in any way condone the giving of
formula for this reason. My feelings come from 1 - having been a student
nurse who witnessed these exchanges, and 2 - being a volunteer in the
community.

What is the real goal? For "us" it is to have a baby feed well, pass
meconium well, and move along home as a fully breastfed baby.

For many others, the goal is to prevent the "disease of jaundice", keep
everyone happy, and lessen the sometimes overwhelming work load.

The mothers who call me are upset on a number of platforms. First, being
"forced" to give formula ("If your baby develops jaundice, it could get
BRAIN DAMAGE!") Second, being left to feel they are inadequate ("Your milk
STILL isn't in? You need to supplement, or your baby will STARVE") Or, they
call because their baby won't breastfeed, and I get upset at all of the
interventions on their behalf.

The current thinking seems to be preventing jaundice at all costs, and if a
bottle of formula helps that, well, why not? Again, it goes along with our
cultural thinking that there is nothing wrong with formula, and why would
you make someone feel guilty for doing what "is right" for their baby?

The new AAP "risk categories" have helped turn a normal function into one of
fear and alarm. Probably goes along with lawsuits and liability, as well. If
there was to be a decent lawsuit which showed the liability of formula? We'd
have nothing to talk about.

Sam