From:
Christine Bussman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Nov 2008 16:56:47 -0600
I know that the standard from milk banks is pasteurized donor milk, but
I do wonder at whether some of these babies would be better off if the
donor milk was not pasteurized.  It seems that at least many of the
components in breast milk could be destroyed by the pasteurization.  Of
course pasteurized human milk is preferable to artificial baby milks.
Perhaps from a public health perspective, which is concerned with
statistics rather than individuals, pasteurized is better than
unpasteurized. However, I'm not sure that there are not individual
babies who would be better off with all of the components, even at
slight risk of disease.

I'm just thinking out loud here, and wondering what others think.

Christine Bussman