From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 14:42:59 -0800
Gentian violet is the original treatment for thrush, which went out of
favor when other prescription meds came about and due to the huge mess it
can make.  It is very effective for yeast or sore nipples THAT ARE CAUSED
BY YEAST.  Gentian violet has been implicated as a toxinigen, but that was
in rat studies that used something to the tune of 500 times the dose a baby
would get.

 For treating normal, transient nipple soreness, the only topical for
nipples approved by LLLI is Lansinoh--and for good reason too.  St. Johns
Wort oil, while very beneficial in older children and adults, can cause
MAJOR allergic reactions in infants.  Please don't recommend this topically
to remain on the nipples.  Lansinoh is soothing because it seals the nerve
endings off from air (I suspect what your moms are reporting too) and it
assists in moist wound healing.  If you have not read Sue Huml's articles
on moist wound healing in breastfeeding, I highly recommend them.  Other
common topicals used by some here are vitamin E, 'bag balm' and comfrey-
ARE CONTRAINDICATED for infants.  Anything fat soluble could potentially
build up in the fat cells.  The reason Lansinoh is okay (even in those
allergic to wool) is that it is "ultra" pure anhydrous lanolin (guaranteed
not to cause allergic reactions).  And, NO I don't work for them.  'Hope
this clarifies things a bit.

: )Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC  email: [log in to unmask]  : )
: )HSR & Health Educational Consultant        voice/fax: 541 753 7340   : )
: )------------**CHANGE THE WORLD, NURTURE A CHILD!**------------------ : )