Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 14:18:10 -0500
At 08:20 AM 7/5/01 -0400, you wrote:
>I do not know where the Lactneters got the idea that one immediately begins
>antibiotics at the first signs of mastitis.

Dr. Nice, unfortunately in the Greater Milwaukee area almost woman who
calls an OB office (usually considered her primary physician) with mastitis
symptoms has a prescription for antibiotic called in to the pharmacy--[the
exceptions are a couple of OBs who have LC connections]. She is not seen by
anyone.

Even if the mother goes in to the OB office, if she says that her breasts
are sore she will likely be given an antibiotic "just in case", especially
if it is Friday. And you should hear what a woman has to go through to get
treated for nipple/ductal yeast which comes a week or so later.

One problem is that most OBs fail to see breasts as functional. They are to
be examined for lumps; otherwise they are ignored unless a woman who is
breastfeeding calls, then it is infective mastitis. The normal lactating
breast must not be covered extensively in their medical training.

One mother wisely asked, "Whom do the breasts belong to?  The Ped won't see
me and the OB isn't interested in how I feed my baby."

I am hoping that "The Lactating Breast" will become a popular course of
study now that so many women are seeing breastfeeding as the normal way to
feed their babies.

I also hope that this post doesn't sound like Dr. bashing. I have
compassion for the physician who is presented with a challenge that he/she
was not prepared for. How can he/she know (unless I tell him/her) that
mastitis can be inflamatory and can be adequately treated with
anti-inflamatory meds, adequate drainage of the breast, etc. I am sharing
this knowledge with all whom I come in contact with.

And each morning as I begin my day, I bless the OBs.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Mailto:[log in to unmask]