From:
Kim Scott IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2006 09:58:09 -0400
Hi everyone,
I am looking for some direction  so I do not have to reinvent the wheel.
Our province has recently announced that it has invested some funds to
enable our hospitals and health units to become BFI accredited. Our
regional hospital CEO and VP of professional services and our BFI committee
are trying to ride the wave of excitement this has created and would like
to collect some baseline data and make some concrete plans to make this
happen as soon as possible. What I need from your collective wisdom follows.
We have been asked to develop a strategy to collect duration rate data
using the recently approved breastfeeding definitions launched by the BCC..
I am wondering, of those of you who collect duration data how do you do so.
We will need to do a questionnaire/ survey to collect information  on
children born in the last year for baseline. I am wondering what types of
questions to ask. Do any of you have something like this already developed
and if so would you be willing to share or point me in the right direction?
I am also looking to find something to provide the 20 hours of education
needed by our staff. I know UNICEF has a printable 20 hours of education
that is a wonderful place to start but I would love to design or purchase a
program that can be web based for interactive learning as all of our
hospital units have access to computers and an intra net data base for e-
learning. We have been asked to look at developing modules to provide a
variety of ways to access the needed education hours. Again do any of you
have such things already developed for purchase or sharing? Thanks so much
for any info you can provide me. This truly is a very exciting time for
breastfeeding in our region.
Kim Scott RNBN IBCLC
Miramichi New Brunswick
Canada