From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 15:22:38 +0000
Hi Judy
Not to second guess the mother, but she could do supplementing 'at the
breast' with a homemade supply line. She could still d/c the pumping, but
why not stay on the domperidone? Some herbs that are for breast growth
(goat's rue?) may help, this is not my area of expertise, but I'd refer her
to an herbalist or give her some printed info on such herbs. I know this
gets expensive (the meds and the herbs and the pumps). If she keeps the baby
at breast w/ the supply line, doing breast compression and switch nursing
before opening or starting the supply line, the baby would stay at breast
and empty them the best. If she d/c's the pumping and meds, baby will likely
start breast refusal and go totally to bottle, in my experience, becoz the
supply goes down and baby wants milk. At some point in baby's life she will
be able to totally supply the breast milk he needs becoz he won't need as
much as he does now. We've talked about this concept about adoptive nursing
and I really like it. The mindset is to bf long-term. Anyway, it's an
option.

Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
New Orleans Louisiana, s.e. USA